Funding has been secured from the Integrated Care Fund to provide a Hub through the extension and refurbishment of the existing facilities at Whitchurch Library. The project will expand the use of the library to meet the needs of the community and help to secure the ongoing sustainability of this valuable facility.
Public consultation on the proposed Hub took place in February 2019. The conceptual designs were presented to the general public and updated to reflect the views of those residents that took part. The local residents demonstrated a high level of support for the proposals and welcomed the refurbishment.
The works will include:
• A new front entrance and entrance lobby
• An extension to accommodate a new multi-use community room
• New and improved reception facilities
• Dementia friendly internal redecoration throughout the public space, including new library shelving and seating areas
• Provision of accessible public toilets
• Improved IT facilities and Wi-Fi coverage
What’s Happening Now?
Whitchurch Library is currently closed whilst works are undertaken by Knox and Wells. Whilst the Covid-19 pandemic has inevitably delayed the scheme, Knox and Wells have continued to make progress during this time; successfully managing the need to employ safe working arrangements, and overcoming issues with limited supplies and resources. We are aiming to complete the project and open the facility to the general public in late summer/early autumn of 2020.