Regeneration funding was secured from Welsh Government and Cardiff Council to carry out internal and external refurbishments to the existing youth facility to provide an open-plan advice and information hub to meet the needs of young people in Butetown.
The previous building accommodated recreational and social facilities, including a sports hall, music recording rooms and a dance studio. The improvements made will enable the overall use of the Pavilion to increase by expanding links with the creative industries sector in areas such as film making and editing, music and dance which will inspire and motivate young people, and open up employment opportunities.
In order to accommodate this change, substantial building alterations and improvements have been made which include the re-modelling of part of the ground-floor to create an open and inclusive environment. Consultation sessions were held with young people to help redesign the designated youth social area.
The refurbishment works included:
- Improvements to front elevation including new signage
- New reception area
- Open plan hub space with informal meeting areas and IT provision
- Redesigned youth social area
- Relocation of crèche facility
- Upgrading of music recording studio
- Provision of film editing suite
- Provision of training rooms, meeting rooms and interview rooms
- New signage and logo to provide a new identity for the building
- New patio area to side of building
The refurbishment works were completed in March 2020. The remodelling of the building has transformed the space into a youth hub which will enable the delivery of a wider number of services, including employment advice, skills development, training and volunteering, with a specific focus on the creative industries.