Exciting plans for Rhiwbina Library
Funding from Welsh Government’s Integrated Care Fund (subject to final budget approval) will enable the Council to refurbish the Rhiwbina Library building, and create the latest in the City’s network of Community Hubs. The aim of the project is to secure the ongoing sustainability of this valuable facility, where the delivery of a modern library service is combined with the ability for Council and partner organisations to provide a range of services that meet the needs of the community that the Hub will serve.
Successful implementation will build on the achievements of the Council’s Community Hubs Programme, which has now embedded joined-up service provision and partnership working in a number of priority neighbourhoods.
Our community engagement exercise is now open, and closes on Wednesday 3rd March. We encourage you to look at the concept plans that are available on this page, and provide us with your comments using the interactive feedback form that we have provided. From the plans you will see that the refurbishment proposals include:
• New and improved reception facilities
• Dementia friendly internal redecoration throughout the public space, including new library shelving and seating areas
• Additional meeting space to accommodate both service delivery and community activities
• Refurbished public toilets to meet current accessibility standards
• Improved IT facilities and Wi-Fi coverage
• Creation of an attractive and usable outdoor space
• Improvements to the external elevations of the building
What's happening now?
There are a series of necessary steps to be followed after our community engagement exercise, and before a final scheme can be announced:
• The concept design that we have presented here will be reviewed, taking account of the feedback that we receive
• The final design will be submitted as a planning application
• Suitable and eligible construction companies will be invited to submit their tender to carry out the work
• Tenders received will be reviewed to ensure that they have met the brief, and that the costs submitted align with our budget for the project. If construction costs exceed the available budget, the design will be further reviewed and amended to make the project affordable
If you would like to discuss the proposals in advance of providing us with feedback on the proposals, please send your contact details by email to: email@example.com and we will arrange for a member of our team to call you back.